The North District Plan is a 20-year plan to manage growth in the context of economic, social and environmental matters to achieve the 40-year vision for Greater Sydney. It is a guide for implementing the Greater Sydney Region Plan, A Metropolis of Three Cities, at a district level and is a bridge between regional and local planning.
The vision for the North District Plan is to transform the district over the next 20 to 40 years to provide residents with quicker and easier access to a wider range of jobs, housing types and activities. The vision will improve the District’s lifestyle and environmental assets.
This will be achieved by:
- Enhancing the role of the Eastern Economic Corridor, including North Sydney as part of the Harbour CBD
- Supporting jobs growth in strategic centres, including health and education precincts and facilitating innovation
- Sustaining local centres to provide jobs, services and amenity
- Providing fast and efficient transport connections to achieve a 30-minute city
- Retaining and managing industrial and urban services land
- Creating and renewing great places while protecting heritage and local character and improving places for people
- Improving walking and safe cycling ways
- Enhancing foreshore access to Sydney Harbour and the District's waterways
- Enhancing the quality and improving access to open space, and increasing urban tree canopy
- Retaining the environmental, social and economic values of the Metropolitan Rural Areas
- Protecting and enhancing the District's unique natural assets including waterways, coastlines and bushland