The Commission brings together six cities to create a globally competitive multi-city region. The Six Cites Region encompasses the following cities:
- Lower Hunter and Greater Newcastle
- Central Coast
- Western Parkland
- Central River
- Eastern Harbour.
Not sure which local council you live in?
Search your address using the find your local council toollaunch
City of Parramatta
The Hills Shire
Benefits of the Six Cities Region
Our vision is to accelerate the economic growth of the region, as well as New South Wales. The shift will create a globally competitive and locally liveable multi-city region. Supported by greater connectivity, the Six Cities Region will raise everyone’s standard of living.
People will have more access to:
- Opportunities, education, services and amenity
- Future-facing jobs closer to home
- Well-located, affordable, diverse and resilient homes
The Six Cities Region responds to the urban opportunities and challenges of our time. It is designed to provide:
- A response to the growth and evolution of our communities and how they work, live and play
- Economic scale to compete globally
- A focus on equity, including rebalancing opportunity across the region
- A vehicle to plan for environmental and climate change resilience
How will community needs be met?
Social Commissioner Natalie Walker speaks about the Commission's focus on the needs of everyone who lives in the multi-city region, including creating equitable and fair communities.
- 0:03 – Recognising First Nations Peoples’ perspectives
- 0:54 – Access to housing and social infrastructure
- 1:38 – Making communities equitable and fair
What are the economic opportunities?
Economic Commissioner John Lydon speaks about the enormous economic potential of the multi-city region and how creating future-focused jobs is a priority.
- 0:03 – Economic advantages and opportunities
- 0:41 – Competing globally
- 1:06 – Key economic focus areas
What are the environmental advantages?
Environment Commissioner Meg McDonald shares her thoughts about how the six cities will work together to address future environmental opportunities.
- 0:03 – Opportunity to address major environmental challenges
- 0:58 – Renewable energy production
- 1:26 – Accelerate the race to net-zero emissions