The Youth Advisory Panel is an advisory body established to embed a youth voice in the Commission’s planning, innovation districts and thought leadership work. The Panel supports the Commission’s vision to create Australia’s first global city region that will provide better jobs, housing, education, health and lifestyle opportunities for everyone.
A new Panel was formed in December 2022 and builds on the Greater Sydney Commission Youth Panel which was established in May 2019. The Panel is made up of 12 members, with two members representing each city in the Six Cities Region. Members are required to be aged between 18 to 30 years old upon appointment.
The purpose of the Panel is to:
- Elevate diverse perspectives and views on issues that matter to young people.
- Provide advice on Commission-led projects.
- Facilitate engagement with other young people across the Six Cities Region.
Key responsibilities of Panel members include:
- Actively participate in six formal meetings per year.
- Contribute to Commission work by providing a youth lens on region-shaping policy and projects and collaborating with staff.
- Engage with communities by maintaining connections and leading discussions with local groups and networks; representing the Commission at events and forums; and working collaboratively with other Panel members.
- Provide advice to external organisations on diverse topics and issues beyond the Commission’s remit.
In addition, Co-Chairs attend Full Commission meetings to provide an update on Panel activities and share youth perspectives on the Commission’s work.
Meet our Panel members
To complement the Panel, the Commission has established the Six Cities Youth Network. Interested young people (aged 18-30 years old) are encouraged to sign up to the network to hear about opportunities to be engaged on issues relating to their city and the broader city region.
The Panel is consulted on an ad-hoc basis by external organisations, including other government agencies and the private sector. If your organisation would like to engage our Panel, complete the External consultation form.
During their three year term, the inaugural Panel provided a youth lens on strategic planning and policy matters, shared their lived experiences, and elevated the perspectives and aspirations of young people. Learn more about their experience and achievements below.